I tried to come up with a “burning question” about The Campaign, Will Ferrell’s new movie opening today. (Believe it or not, my specific brand of tomfoolery does require some level of effort.)
Unable to do so, I resigned myself to pulling together today’s Daily Interest. And then I ran into this article from Deadspin detailing one job-seeker’s frustrations with the San Diego Padres.
Depending on your point of view, the writer of this letter either burned all her bridges or did something crazy enough to get noticed. Regardless, I was more intrigued by the response of one member of the Padres’ organization: “I’m more impressed than angry.”
That sentiment is remarkably similar to one from a different San Diego resident after his dog violates the fridge and eats a whole wheel of cheese. And who plays that gentleman, Ron Burgundy? Why, Will Ferrell of course!
To celebrate this tenuous (at best) correction, I’m turning my attention away from The Campaign and adding tenuous (at best) references to Anchorman to today’s links. Enjoy!
- In Anchorman, female newscaster Veronica Corningstone fights against the status quo to get a meaningful job. Also fighting against the status quo? Peter Thiel, from Paypal. He gave 25 young adults $100,000 to leave college and start a business. One year later, Inc. checks in with Thiel’s fellows to see how they’re doing.
- The Chronicle of Higher Education reports on a company that “uses [students'] reactions to a series of images to predict their personalities and to suggest careers tailored to their preferences.” I hope some of the students’ reactions are as surprised as this.
- This deposed editor from The Oxford American sounds like he just walked out of a 1970′s-inspired newsroom. Take note: If your internship seems like the one detailed in this article, tell someone.
- Feel like visiting a “glass case of emotion“? Then attend the class of this Atlanta-area college professor who has outlawed using cell phones in his classroom.
- And, finally, if you do want to see The Campaign this weekend, save some money with this coupon from AMC theaters. Or you could save even more money by bringing your own refreshments into the theater. Just remember: On a hot day, milk is a bad choice.
Have a “burning question” we could have asked about The Campaign? Or want to relate your favorite Anchorman quote to a money-related link? We’ll take either in the comments.